Is Black Friday Worth the Hassle?
Perhaps, it’s just me but I just don’t understand the appeal that Black Friday seems to have for some Canadian shoppers. It totally makes sense for a Canadian on a visit to the US to get some Christmas shopping done but let’s list the steps involved for a Canadian resident driving across the border simply to score some Black Friday bargains:
1. Take Thursday or Friday or both days off.
2. Drive to the US border. Wait in line to clear US customs.
3. Spend money on gas, tolls (if any), lodging and meals.
5. Buy items on your list. Pay sales taxes (if applicable). If you are paying with a Canadian credit card, you’ll be charged a 2.5% fee on top of the applicable exchange rate.
6. Wait in line (again!) to pay taxes, duties (if applicable) at Canadian customs.
I hate shopping at Wal-Mart even on a regular weekend. For me, no TV is worth lining up for hours in the cold in front of a Wal-Mart.