Helping the Haiti Earthquake Victims
The recent earthquake in Haiti has resulted in a humanitarian disaster of enormous proportions. In addition to providing direct relief, the Government of Canada has announced that it is matching every dollar contributed to eligible Canadian charitable organizations that are supporting the recovery and disaster relief efforts in Haiti. To qualify for the match, the donation must be made by individual Canadians to a registered Canadian charity that is specifically earmarked for the purpose of disaster relief in Haiti and made between January 12 and February 12, 2010 (See FAQs — Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund site for more information).
Here are the some of the organizations (I also found this exhaustive list on CBC that you might find useful) that are specifically soliciting donations to fund emergency assistance and relief efforts in Haiti:
- Donations through the Canadian Red Cross, which sent $200,000 immediately to support relief efforts, can be made here.
- Donations to the Salvation Army’s Haiti Earthquake Disaster Relief Fund can be made through this website. Salvation Army is also accepting micro-donations of $5 from donors who text HAITI to 45678 from any Rogers or Bell phone.
- Donations to UNICEF Canada’s Haiti Earthquake relief efforts can be made here.
- Donations to the Humanitarian Coalition Online comprising Oxfam Canada, Oxfam Quebec, Care and Save the Children can be made here.
- Médecins Sans Frontières Canada is also directing donations to Haiti relief.
- Michael J. points out that World Vision, which has been on the ground in Haiti for more than 30 years, is accepting donations here.
- Matt N. says Plan Canada is helping children and families in Haiti. Donations are accepted here.
- Samaritan’s Purse, a favourite charity of Joel, is accepting donations here.
If you know of others that you’ve supported in the past, please let me know in the comments and I’ll include them in the list. Typically income tax receipts are issued for donations of $25 or more.
- Million Dollar Journey is matching reader donations up to $500. We picked Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) as our charity as well.
- Canadian Financial DIY points out that CanadaHelps.org has an extensive list of charities accepting Haiti-specific donations.
- Four Pillars warns of fraudulent individuals canvassing donations by phone.
- ETF 2X’s Fred points out that CTV has a comprehensive list of charities accepting donations for Haiti.